Pages

Friday, August 22, 2008

Jewish Bloggers Get Together in Jerusalem!

Well, I made it to the JBloggers conference and was soooo glad I did. I sat with Batya and Yisrael, folks who I have known since keyboarding was called typing and electric typewriters were an exciting innovation in office machinery. Yes kinderlach, back in the days when people who made aliya from the US were verrrry ideological even blonged to Zionist youth movements , you know, before post-Zionism.

It was a fascinating mix of people. I was especially pleased to meet Gila of My Shrapnel who is an amazing young woman. She and The Sandman (who I saw but did not get to talk to although I would have liked to tell him that I enjoy reading his blog) both don't think their blogging is particularly Jewish, aliya oriented or even Zionist (the way we used to mean it). Well guys, that's exactly what's so great about it. Once upon a time you really had to be crazy - or well maybe just a little bit obsessed or ideological - to make aliya and encourage others. Not anymore, really sane normal intelligent empolyable people move to Israel and live here. Year after year.

Of course there were plenty of right wingers religeous folks settlers etc there to justify the kvetching before hand. I was especially happy to meet Rivka, Rafi, West Bank Mama, Chayyei Sara, and lots more wonderful people as well as the more famous bloggers who partcipated in the panels.

Rabbi Gil Student of Hirhurim began with some words of Tora which I thought were appropriate although there were some grumblers. There was someone from something called jewlicious ?which is not aimed at me or my likes. Well, good luck to a very personable young man and his friends.

I'm not sure why Bibi was relevant to this particular forum. He spoke well but in view of the fact that the bloggers had to keep it very short there was something disproportionate about the entire hour he took up.
Frum Satire turned out to be even funnier in person than on YouTube.

Lots was said about agendas and my dear friend Batya has one too. Hers involves roping innocent bloggers into hosting the KCC and guess who volunteered to do that for September?

Shabbat Shalom!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you too!

Lion of Zion said...

"I'm not sure why Bibi was relevant to this particular forum."

he has a blog

Lion of Zion said...

"I'm not sure why Bibi was relevant to this particular forum."

he has a blog

Risa Tzohar said...

LOZ-
OK, OK, He has a blog. But a whole hour???????

Unknown said...

Risa, I'm sorry you didn't introduce yourself. Unfortunately, Bibi cut into our time for mingling. How does one tell a former PM to zip it?
BTW the link to my blog (gratuitous plug alert!) doesn't work.

Unknown said...

Oh, and Shabbat Shalom!

Risa Tzohar said...

quietusleo-
I fixed the link and I hope *all* of my readers go read your excellent blog.
Shabbat Shalom!

Gila said...

Lovely to meet you as well--I am looking forward to using my new wheels to spend time getting to meet my collection of new friends. :)

I promise to look up the film festival this week!

Batya said...

Risa, always great to see you, and the blog conference, just another thing we have in common.

Actually, I enjoyed bibi more than the foreigin ministry person.

Anonymous said...

"...someone from something called Jewlicious?"

Oh my h@shem - I am going to weep into my pillow and cry myself to sleep. For real.

Risa Tzohar said...

ck
I'm sorry, but you really are looking for a much younger audience. I promise to drop in from time to time and see if I understand anything you are talking about ;>0

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and above all for taking the time to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails